Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

14,049 days...

That's how long I've been alive on this earth today.  Seeing our lives as days numbered really drives home how short our time is here and encourages us not to waste our days and time on frivolity.

There's something about putting our time into days that takes my breath away.  On one hand, I think, "what have I done with 14,049 days??" and on the other I think, "Wow, God willing if I live to be 70 (neither of my parents did) that would be (from birth to death), 25, 568 days.  That means I would only have 11, 527 days left, God providing, I live to be 70 years old.  That means that half of my life is most likely over.

Psalm 90:12 says, "Teach us to number our days, so we may gain a heart of wisdom".    After having reviewed the book, "20,000 days and counting" by Robert D. Smith recently, I decided I convert my years into days.  WOW!  Was that eye opening!

Putting my life into days made me more aware of how I've spent my time and, from this point forward, how I SHOULD be spending my time.  My heart has gained wisdom from this one small act and it longs to rectify my misuse and mismanagement of time.  Sadly, I can't do that.  I mourn for the days that I squandered away on a whole lotta nothin'!  Ouch!  I'm not talking days where restorative rest was needed and taken or days spent consoling wounded hearts and frustrations in my children.  No.  I'm talking the wasted time with computers, phones and t.v.  Wasted time that wasn't accomplishing anything - including restoring and refreshing my soul.  Wisdom has been gained here; now, I pray, I use it and make appropriate changes in my life.

What I can do, though, is look forward - to the days ahead and align my time more and more with how God would have me use it.

 Now more than ever, my one little word for 2013 is taking new meaning about how I should approach my next 329 days of 2013.

Seeing my life through days instead of years has been eye opening and makes me appreciate my life lived so far (minus those silly days) and it is making me think about the upcoming days God would bless me with; if He blesses me with them.


I encourage you, as the writer of Psalm 90 does, to calculate your life into days.  Know how many days you've been on earth and wonder how many days you may (or may not) have left.  Put your life into perspective and gain a heart of wisdom.


If you want to see how many days you've been around, go here and marvel at both the days that have floated away and how very short life can be.

Let me live my days well, not according to man's standards, but by God's standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment