Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal: May 5

In my life this week...
Good things!  A beautiful nature walk with co-op friends. Encouragement and laughter from good friends. A sleepover at a friend's house for my oldest and a "date night" with the hubs and youngest for me.  Tummies that didn't feel too good this week too.   Lots of planning and researching for school with an 8th grader and 5th grader next year! A fun bridal shower for our old babysitter and youth group attendee (am I THAT old?!).  Earlier in the week, we had dinner with said bride and groom to be and two dear friends of ours!

In our homeschool this week...
Lots of living room learning!  This is a carry-over from the homeschool conference I attended a couple of weeks ago.  A more simple, relaxed approach to school.  For this time of year and season of our life, this has been perfect.  We've done lots of reading and discussions and their retention has been better!  We plan on pushing through May and then doing what I call "lite" school through June.  Living room learning is helping with our desire to be DONE with schoolwork though!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...
Enjoy the journey.  Learning is not a race, competition or long list of "to-dos".  Enjoy it and make it fun!

I am inspired by...
Those who walk their faith more than they talk it.


Places we're going and people we're seeing...
We're heading to an all church event tomorrow night for a performance and ice cream social.  Later in the week, we'll meet up with some friends at a theater downtown and see "Hansel and Gretel".   Friday marks our last class day of our homeschool co-op.  We'll be wrapping that up with a lesson on Monet and a potluck.  I'm hoping to meet up with a dear friend of mine to begin aqua-aerobics classes (we did them two years ago and they were great!).
My favorite thing this week was...
Family game night and watching my adorable boys laugh so hard until they were crying!  That was so fun!  LOVE our nights like this!


What's working/not working for us...
Conducting education with a "school at home" mentality.  That's what I've done the past few years and while the public school system has its merits, the reality is I can't copy that and bring it into my home.  Education has to be unique and molded to the environment and people to whom you're trying to teach.  So, our "living room learning" has been AWESOME to get us out of our school room and help us love to learn again!
Obviously, living room learning is working right now!  Our 2 month trial of Aleks math is working... so far and next year's plan is coming together nicely!

Something else in our life is not working and it's time to acknowledge that and let go.  Even though there is some sadness to this door closing, I feel relief and release even more.   Knowing I can let go of what doesn't work, I'm SUPER excited about the future!


Questions/thoughts I have...
Oh boy! I have lots of thoughts and questions!  There's been a lot on my mind lately and decisions that have had to be made - the ones that don't come so easily but make you mull it over and over in your mind.  There's been a lot of extra talks with God lately around these parts!

Things I'm working on... 
Curriculum and school next year. I'm also working on gathering up summer plans for some continued school through June and our two week vacation in August.  I'm also getting a plan in place for MORE purging through my "6" (which was inspired by the book, "7").

I'm reading...
To the boys, I'm finishing up "By The Great Horn Spoon" with them.  What a cute book!  For me, I'm making my way through "Spiritual Parenting" currently.

I'm cooking... 
Homemade chicken noodle soup and foccacia bread.

I'm grateful for...
An amazing husband that loves me as I am yet encourages me in my pursuit to become more like Jesus and less like me!  Two awesome boys that have amazing hearts, quick wits, and ingenuity!  I'm humbled at having these three in my life!  I'm grateful, so grateful for God's grace.  His guidance.  His release from things that burden and weigh down.  I am in awe of who He is.


I'm praying for...
Peace. Continue guidance. His wisdom to discern.  For my family.


Photo/video/quote to share...
Refuse to waste our lives. Build Your kingdom here.   Amen. and Amen.
Rend Collective Experiment.  Love this Irish worship band.


I'm linking up with

2 comments:

  1. Living room learning sounds like a great idea! Duplicating the classroom is a downfall of so many new homeschool moms. A more relaxed atmosphere is just what I like too. :)
    Visiting you from the Homeschool Mother's Journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candace!
    Thanks for visiting!! Accomplishing the relaxed atmosphere can be a challenge (at least for me) but it is soo worth it!

    ReplyDelete