Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Email, Shmemail...

Despite not writing about it for a week or so, I assure you I am still on my "7" purge (well, "6" for me... but whose counting??). If you are unsure of what I'm talking about you can go here and here to read all about it!

This week, I tackled the overwhelming downer of my Outlook inbox. JUST my inbox. You see, my inbox had over 32,000 unread emails in it. That is NOT counting all of the emails that HAD been opened and read. So, I spent several hours clearing it out.
I saved every stinkin' email that ever came in to me because of the olden days when email was new and the thought was to save every conversation "in case you need it again". Well, isn't that technological hoarding?? That is the same justification that hoarders use in explaining the condition of their homes.

So, here I sat freeing myself of the years (yes, years) of emails sitting in my Outlook inbox. I took a no holds barred approach and just began deleting! Deleting everything and anything (well, I saved a few things). Once I got to January of this year, I slowed down my pace of hitting the delete button to really comb over what needed keeping such as confirmation emails of upcoming field trips, email 'receipts' of orders recently placed, several homeschool emails that I wanted to keep.

When all was said and done, I had 200 UNOPENED emails sitting in my inbox! Yay! I also took the time to unsubscribe from many email newsletters.

What a freeing action! I actually enjoy looking at my inbox now and I am challenged to keep it clean of clutter and free from getting bogged down again!

No comments:

Post a Comment